Monday, March 26, 2012

The Orphans of Blade and Rose

I got coerced into posting a sample chapter. I guess that fits. "I love you, is why," being the stated reason. Well, love and coercion feature prominently in my forthcoming fantasy novel, the first draft of which I finished last night (this morning?)

Here's tasty sample chapter. Hope you dig it!


Cream

It was time to go; it just was. Bevvi was going to pout about it. He was sort of a priss, anyway. Not that I usually minded. He wasn’t like anyone I knew… no, not really, and that saucy mouth of his was plenty of fun. But he wasn’t going to like it.


It was near to sunup like usual when I heard him coming up the road to the front door. I was so used to hearing the clinking of the milk bottles that I woke up ready for him every Thursday for the past five months. I didn’t bother about shoes, stuffed my nightshirt into a pair of trousers and that’s all the ceremony we stood on. I’d get dressed proper afterward, when I slopped the pigs at dawn.

I snuck downstairs for the last time: Skip the second stair, skip the eighth and there’s not another squeak to worry about since our first floor’s flagstone. I eased the door shut behind me, and lounged on it. He liked when I watched him set out the milk. “I’m a professional, at heart,” he’d told me once, striking a pose. Fine by me.

He straightened from the stoop. “Good week, Arlo?”

“Good enough,” I shrugged, but I made sure to smile. “You?”

“Juba’s got a sore tit. Mrs. Figg’s gonna give me one, if I don’t get it sorted soon.” He blew out his cheeks, but then he flashed his crooked grin. Bevvi laced his fingers around the back of his neck, flapping at me with his elbows. Here it came, the same thing he’d asked me since he started on our route—even after I’d gathered what he meant and started saying yes. “Fancy a spot of cream, then?”

I did, I really did. But… “Yeah, Bev, I got a thirst. But I should tell you, I’m off to Greengate today-tomorrow.”

He did pout, playing a little, “Well, then, we better tide us both over.” He made haste enough, his hand on me right away, working. “Bring me something back?”

Couldn’t do it. “That’s the thing, you know. I’m not coming back, Bevvi.”

He took his tongue from out of my ear and frowned. “What do you mean, ‘not coming back?’

“I’m going to enlist, see a thing or two,” I answered, not wanting to explain over-much.

He shoved his hands in his pockets, looking away. After a minute, he said, “You’re going for good and you couldn’t tell me sooner?”

“I just decided yesterday. If it helps, you’re the first to know,” I said, not too happy. Pouting I’d figured on, but he seemed pretty sad.

“You going to tell me why, then?” he whined, sullen.

He folded his ropey forearms on his milkman’s chest. Didn’t hurt his looks… I wanted this to go well, out of all the good byes I was about to be saying. “It’s Ersla, Bev. Yesterday night we were setting out the table for supper and she asked ‘Should I set out a spot of cream, tonight, Arlo’? I didn’t think anything of it and I said I could do without. Then she said, ‘Yeah, I s’pose you’ve had your fill’, and I took her meaning.”

Bevvi scratched his head, “You’re head of the house, what do you care if she knows?”

I smiled a little helplessly. “Well… It seems like a good time, whatever. Always wanted to see the city and so I’m going to.”

He thought for a second, looking off to the horizon, and scrubbed his hand through his short, orange hair. “I’ll tell you, Arlo: If I don’t get Juba’s udder set right and Mrs. Figg gives me the can, maybe I’ll do like you are. If they’ll take a pig farmer, they’ll take a dairy hand, you know?”

“I don’t expect I’ll see you, then; I know you’ll get her sorted.” He gave a little smile at that, the straightest and the saddest I’d seen on him. I cupped his chin in my hand.  “I got a powerful thirst, Bevvi. How about it? The last sip’s sometimes sweetest, I heard.”

That’s true, as it turns out.

No comments:

Post a Comment