Thursday, March 8, 2012

The Challenges of Everything

I come to this particular revelation often: Anything can happen.

On the one hand, it's paralyzing. I find myself so overwhelmed with possibilities that I don't know which to choose. My mind burns twice as bright for half as long, and then goes dark.

On the other hand, what the hell kind of thing is that to complain about? Too many ideas? Bosh. The gut knows: Write, try, see how it feels.

My characters will tell me if it works or not. Recently, Arlo (from The Wide and Burning World) got angry. I wasn't expecting that to come of all those cycling directions, but it did. It was really comfortable. In fact, even though I never meant to go in that tract, I discovered that in order to keep him from being so angry, I'd need to undo a substantial amount of previous characterization. I'm rolling with it. Just keep rolling, that's the key. Because it only counts as written once it's wrote.

No comments:

Post a Comment